- Your Government
- Training Programs
- Gun Permitting
- Address on ID must be current.
- Applications may be completed during business hours of 8:30 a.m.- 4 p.m. Monday - Friday excluding Holidays.
- A credit card style ID is also available for an additional $5 and can be made Thursdays from 3 p.m. - 6 p.m. or by appointment with the Sheriff.
- To apply for a permit to carry a weapon (Professional or Non-Professional) applicants must show a valid ID.
- You must apply in person.
Applicants must show proof that they have met the requirements set forth in Iowa Code Chapter 724, before receiving a permit. To see the entire code section visit The Iowa Legislature.
To summarize this code:
1. Applicants must show proper Identification
2. Applicants must apply for a permit to the Sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides
3. Applicant must have completed required training
4. Applicant will pay required fee at time of application. $50 cash for new permits and $25 for Renewals
A professional permit also requires an employer's authorization on the application, along with a letter on company letterhead stating they are employed with that company and requests the individual to carry a weapon while on duty.
Other requirements are:
- A background check will be completed for convictions and/or any outstanding warrants
- Fee for processing new permits is $50
- Must be resident of Clayton County
- Provide a valid ID or drivers license from the Iowa Department of Transportation
New & Renewal Applications
A new application means an application for an Iowa professional permit to carry weapons filed when the applicant does not currently hold an Iowa permit to carry weapons or when the applicant does not file the application at least thirty days prior to the expiration of a currently held Iowa permit to carry weapons.
A renewal application is an application for an Iowa professional permit to carry weapons filed at least thirty days prior to the expiration of a currently held permit to carry weapons.
For more information, please contact Secretary Jan Heck at 563-245-2422, ext. 114 from 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday - Friday (excluding holidays) or Email Jan Heck.